miércoles, 18 de julio de 2012

#

I watched thee when the foe was at our side -
Ready to strike at him, -or thee and me-
Were safety hopeless -rather than divide
Aught with one loved -save love and liberty.

I watched thee in the breakers -when the rock
Received our prow -and all was storm and fear
And bade thee cling to me through every shock -
This arm would be thy bark - or breast thy bier.

I watched thee when the fever glazed thine eyes -
Yielding my couch - and stretched me on the ground -
When overworn with watching - ne'er to rise
From thence - if thou an early grave hadst found.

The Earthquake came and rocked the quivering wall -
And men and Nature reeled as if with wine -
Whom did I seek around the tottering Hall -
For thee - whose safety first provide for - thine.

And when convulsive throes denied my breath
The faintest utterance to my fading thought -
To thee -to thee - even in the grasp of death
My spirit turned - Ah! oftener than it ought.

Thus much and more - and yet thou lov'st me not,
And never wilt - Love dwells not in our will -
Nor can I blame thee - though it be my lot
To strongly - wrongly -vainly - love thee still
.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario